I noticed today on my daily Metabolic Balance® diary where I track all my meals that it was actually Day 150 and I felt like that was a milestone worth marking.
I’ve also taken iPhotos of almost every meal. I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do with all those photos – now numbering close to 450!
On Jan. 2nd of this year, I chose to start this German nutrition plan based on my blood tests inside of my commitment to live a healthier, longer life. It took a few weeks to get in the groove [See Blog #3, March 18th], now it all seems very routine.
There are 8 simple, yet important rules:
• Eat only 3 meals a day
• Take a 5 hour break between meals
• Don’t allow any meal to last longer than 60 minutes
• Always begin each meal with two bites of protein
• Eat only one type of protein per meal
• Don’t eat after 9 p.m.
• Drink 35 ml of water per kg of body weight or ½ fl. oz. per lb. of body weight or for us in the U.S., 7 bottles of 16.9 fl. oz, i.e. 7 bottles or 3.5 a liter daily
• Eat fruit as part of your meal or for dessert
I’d also add these practices that I’ve learned support me reaching my goal:
• Stock your refrigerator with healthy, mostly fresh foods and organic if possible
• Weight your food and eat the recommended portions outlined in your MB® nutrition plan
• Never eat seconds
• Listen to and follow recommendations of your MB® coach who is there to make sure you win at this game!
• No snacking
• An apple a day – I love the Minnesota Honeycrisp variety
• Learn to make your own sourdough rye bread – I love bread and rye is the only bread on my plan – because the only rye breads in the U.S. market that I’ve found also contain a large percentage of wheat. Now I make sourdough rye bread about every 10 days.
• Eat only goat cheese – Who knew there were so many delicious varieties?!
• Choose only healthy oils like organic olive oil, organic omega 3 Flax oil or coconut oil
• No alcohol*
• No popcorn*
• No chocolate*
• Enjoy full fat – and healthier foods on your plan like 100% plain Greek yogurt
• Enjoy and don’t go wild on your once a week treat meal.
• *The asterisk means you can’t drink alcohol or have chocolate except for once a week during your treat meal – just don’t over do it! I have yet to have one of my favorite snacks – popcorn – even when I go to the movies!
So, I’ve gotten in the groove, I’ve learned the plan and I’m following it more than 98% of the time. Yes, there are times when I’ve run out of the full weight of a particular protein. I’m too practical to throw that small amount away so I have, on rare occasions, mixed proteins to reach the correct protein weight for my meal. Only a few times in the last 150 days have I not weighted my food.
I’m proud of the fact that I have not had one bite in between meals since I started in January – not even when my husband is making soup and wants me to taste it to see what other spices he should add.
With resolve and intentionality, I’m committed to reaching my goal before the end of this year.
# # # # # # # # # # #
Results: People are taking note of my success, which is a great boost to my moral. This past week I lost another l lb., > .45 kg., for a total of 39.5 lbs. or 17.9 kg. I am within five pounds of my half way goal.
Tips: The good news is that each day you have many choices. The bad news news is that each day you have many choices.
Ask yourself, will this choice support my end goal? Choose.